Barrio Nuevo will demolish slum in Caracas

Dear Friends,

The article below describes the plans to demolish the slums that surround Caracas. It will be the site of new housing which will be a commune incorporated into the Habitat Mission, a housing program "which aims to transform the whole system of life, habitat and shelter for the greater Venezuelan family," However, the rightwing forces, have their own profit making plans which are being challenged by the Chavez government as illegal.
_______________
Venezuela: Chavez Launches New Housing Program
by Kiraz Janicke

Caracas, August 10th 2009 - With the demolition of 138 shanty homes facing imminent risk of collapse in the Turmerito sector of Caracas, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez launched a new housing program called "Barrio Nuevo" or New Neighbourhood during his weekly television program Hello President (Alo Presidente) on Sunday.

Accompanied by Vice President Ramon Carrizalez and Housing and Public Works Minister Diosdado Cabello, Chavez explained that the 138 families (450 people) will be temporarily resettled in apartments in the Fort Tiuna military base while their new houses are built.
The sprawling, chaotic slums that have grown up to surround the Venezuelan capital are "the result of a century of misery and abandonment [by previous governments]," Chavez said.

In the surroundings of Turmerito, "many rich people seized land to build factories, parking lots... they can go elsewhere," said Chavez. "We are going to build housing for the people." The new houses will be painted blue, red and yellow in honour of the Venezuelan flag.

The new program will be incorporated into the Habitat Mission, a housing program "which aims to transform the whole system of life, habitat and shelter for the greater Venezuelan family," Chavez stated. "The Bolivarian Revolution has this commitment: to give the best quality of life to all Venezuelans," he said.

"We must not stop until there is not a single slum left in the country," the president declared.

However, Chavez argued that in addition to housing, it is also necessary to provide productive work. Thus, "A new commune, the Turmerito commune, a socialist commune, is being born," he declared minutes before climbing onto a bulldozer to begin the demolition of the shacks on Sunday.

Earlier this year, Chavez created the Ministry of Communes to promote the formation of "socialist communes" in specific geographical areas together with organized communities. On July 11th, he explained in one of a series of special episodes of Hello President devoted to the theory of social change, "The ownership of the means of production is in the hands of the commune."

In addition to the 320 new apartments under construction in the Turmerito neighbourhood, the land currently being used for parking lots will be converted into agricultural areas and small industrial zones for processing iron and wood under the control of the commune, Minister Cabello reported. A school, as well as transportation, security and health services will also be part of the new development plan in Turmerito, Chavez said.

Chavez also stressed the importance of taking into account environmental factors when building new housing developments. In this respect, he ordered Carrizalez and Cabello to investigate a report published in the Venezuelan daily Ultimas Noticias titled, "Caracas is growing out of control," which detailed the illegal construction of a number of urban developments in the opposition-controlled El Hatillo municipality in southeast Caracas.

"More than 80 urban developments are being built in El Hatillo without viability plans or guarantees for roads or services and it is feared the southeast will collapse when the 100 thousand new residents are incorporated," the article stated.

"This must stop," Chavez said, "because we cannot allow the destruction of protected zones and the violation of city laws."

"It is necessary to review this, even when the mayor is from the opposition and the governor as well; there is a national government here and no mayor can come and say 'I command here,' no. They have powers, but it is the Constitution that rules, it is the people and there are laws," he told Cabello and Carrizalez.

Such works are the product of the capitalist greed that destroys rivers, streams and damages protected areas in order to construct large buildings and sell them off at very high prices to the middle class, Chavez sustained. "It's necessary to protect the middle-class from capitalist greed...they are also Venezuelans and this government is for everyone," he insisted.

A common clause in housing contracts for many low- to middle-income homebuyers in Venezuela is to pay cash at the start of construction, then make additional adjusted payments for inflation between purchase and move-in. The clause is designed to offset rising material and labor costs.

However, in July, Minister Cabello accused the construction industry of abusing the practice and ordered construction companies to repay the inflation charges. The Ministry had received more than 1700 complaints from homebuyers.

In 2008, some 90,000 new homes were built in Venezuela, half by the government and half by the private construction industry. Despite numerous programs to address the problem, it is estimated that Venezuela continues to face a shortfall of some 1.8 million houses.
http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news/4709

Statement On Honduras

Solidarity with the Honduras Resistance!
Statement by the Venezuela We Are With You Coalition

June 28, 2009 – the day of the military coup in Honduras – was a day of shame for Canada.

On that day the generals of Honduras, encouraged by Washington, dealt a dagger blow to democracy. But when President Zelaya was kidnapped and exiled, Canada’s government was silent. The world’s governments and peoples rallied to condemn the general’s dictatorial coup, but Canada’s government found nothing to condemn.

Shame on Stephen Harper! Shame on Peter Kent!

But the events in Honduras are also a source of hope and inspiration to the people in Canada. The bold and courageous people of Honduras have defied the army, demonstrating, striking, and setting up roadblocks demanding the restoration of their elected government.

The governments of ALBA, with Nicaragua at their head, have rallied in a sustained campaign to restore democracy in Honduras. Nicaragua, Venezuela, Cuba, Bolivia, and other ALBA members have rallied public opinion and gained popular support for President Zelaya and his brave people.Let this be an example to Canada: theirs is an international policy based not on corporate profits, but human solidarity.

The Venezuela We Are With You Coalition congratulates Honduran activists in Toronto and the Latin American Solidarity Network for organizing a sustained campaign here to defend the people of Honduras. Let us continue this struggle.

Long live democracy in Honduras!

Long live President Zelaya and the Honduran people!
Understanding the Softening U.S. Stance

The softening of the US stance of "opposition" to the Honduran military coup, the Tegucigolpe, has been underway for some time. The State Department has inched slowly away from characterizing the coup as a coup, and it now has the status of an "event," in Washington statements.

The thrust of blame for the government crisis in Honduras is now pointed at President Zelaya, not the golpistas. Now, the issue is not Zelaya's "immediate and unconditional return" (OAS formal stance that the US voted for), but finding an acceptable compromise. Hints are made that perhaps even a modified coup government would be more suitable than a castrated Zelaya government.

The weight of evidence seems that the US is now on a course of trying to prolong the death agony of the coup regime, and use delay as a means to disorient and demoralize the mass movement.

From the point of view of the resistance, a key strategic consideration is to fight the coup in the streets with political demands, criticism, and ideas -- not to turn to violence and offer the armed forces excuses to escalate their already savage armed assaults on demonstrators and selected assassinations. Street actions and public protests within the country should be buttressed by similar solidarity actions abroad, especially in Canada and the United States where the main problem is centered.At this point, opting to catapult the country into civil war could bring about a disastrous setback to the country's poor and oppressed. Violence from the masses is always and always should be a last resort, waged in clear and justifiable self-defense.

The challenges before the Honduran and international resistance to the coup are highly and sharply political in nature, and require a sustained battle of ideas and mobilizations, strikes, sit-downs, and other actions that the resistance itself is the best situated to choose what is best. They have already proven the validity of this course despite the evident reality that they have yet to accumulate enough political strength to topple the regime.

Obama could end the regime, as Zelaya has said, in five minutes if he really wanted to. Dragging the crisis out appears to be the preferred option in Washington , and suits the Honduran generals and ruling families just fine.

Felipe Stuart C.
__________________
U.S. appears to soften support for Honduras' Zelaya
By Susan Cornwell
Wed Aug 5,

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. policy on Honduras' political crisis is not aimed at supporting any particular individual, the State Department said in a new letter that implied softening support for ousted President Manuel Zelaya.

The letter to Republican Senator Richard Lugar contained criticism of Zelaya, saying the left-leaning former leader had taken provocative actions before his removal by the army.

It also indicated severe U.S. economic sanctions were not being considered against the de facto government of Roberto Micheletti, installed after the June 28 military coup.

Zelaya's ouster has led foreign governments and multinational lenders to freeze some aid programs to the impoverished country and spurred protests at home. Demonstrations turned violent again on Wednesday.

"Our policy and strategy for engagement is not based on supporting any particular politician or individual. Rather, it is based on finding a resolution that best serves the Honduran people and their democratic aspirations," Richard Verma, assistant secretary for legislative affairs, said in the letter.

"We have rejected calls for crippling economic sanctions and made clear that all states should seek to facilitate a solution without calls for violence and with respect for the principle of nonintervention," he said. The letter was dated Tuesday and obtained by Reuters on Wednesday.

One of Zelaya's main backers in Latin America, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, also appeared to pull back from pushing for his ally's return to power."The most important thing for Zelaya, as he has told me himself, is not that he returns. The most important thing is that he stays on a path toward what the people want, which is political and social change in Honduras ," Chavez told reporters in Caracas .

President Barack Obama has condemned the coup, refused to recognize Micheletti, cut $16.5 million in military aid and thrown his support behind the mediation efforts of Costa Rican President Oscar Arias, whose proposals include Zelaya's reinstatement. Washington is also revoking diplomatic visas for several members of Micheletti's administration.

Zelaya has been asking the United States -- Honduras ' No. 1 trading partner and longtime ally -- to ramp up pressure on the de facto government. "The United States is the one that really has the power to impose measures that go beyond diplomacy," Zelaya told Mexico 's Senate on Wednesday.

"I recognize the firmness of President Obama and Secretary (of State Hillary) Clinton , but (the United States ) has acted lukewarmly," Zelaya said on an official visit to Mexico .

The Organization of American States, which suspended Tegucigalpa last month over the coup, said it would send a group of foreign ministers to Honduras in coming days to try to pressure Micheletti into accepting Arias' proposals.

VIiolence in Tegucigalpa

In the Honduran capital, Tegucigalpa, dozens of stone-throwing students supporting Zelaya clashed on Wednesday with police who shot teargas and water cannons to disperse them after they blocked roads around a university.

Police knocked down the university rector when she tried to calm the violence between the students and security forces.

The State Department letter condemned Zelaya's ouster but noted it was preceded by a political conflict between Zelaya and other Honduran institutions.

"We also recognize that President Zelaya's insistence on undertaking provocative actions contributed to the polarization of Honduran society and led to a confrontation that unleashed the events that led to his removal," it said.

Zelaya was pushing for constitutional reforms that included letting presidents seek re-election. His opponents accused him of trying to stay in power, but he denies the allegation. The Supreme Court ordered his arrest and the Honduran Congress later approved his ouster.

In the letter to Lugar, the State Department said Washington had still not made a decision as to whether Zelaya's ouster constituted a coup.

Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had asked the government to explain its policy on the Honduran crisis.

(Additional reporting by Miguel Angel Gutierrez and Mica Rosenberg in Mexico City, Fabian Cambero in Tegucigalpa and Ana Isabel Martinez in Caracas; Editing by Peter Cooney)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-08/06/content_11834855.htm

Report on ALBA and English-Speaking Caribbean Nations

A report on ALBA and Its Growing Caribeean Members

The following report on ALBA and the Caribbean was given to the Venezuela Coalition Planning meeting on July 13 by Faiz Ahmed who is doing a thesis on ALBA at the University of New Brunswick.

ALBA has three Caribbean members: Dominica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Antigua and Barbuda. Each has a population of about 100,000; the largest (Dominica) is 1/7 the size of PEI.

These island nations belong to several other trade groups. But ALBA offers something not available in the other alliances, because ALBA is based on cooperation not competition.

The islands are poor by Caribbean standards and are very vulnerable: environmentally (lack of fresh water, pollution), economically (dependency on tourism, lack of leverage in determining export and import prices); socially (class differentiation is little developed; the local elite is weak).They need oil, of course. But also storage capacity. And they need the ability to buy without cash: they are cash-strapped and highly indebted.

What does ALBA provide them?

First, the ALBA Bank. This gives the islands access to capital. ALBA Bank decision making is based on equality: there is no system of weighted voting. The bank will have a branch in each island. It has funded $1 billion for social, educational, cultural, and health projects.

Second, oil. ALBA members can apply for loans for oil purchases on a sliding scale based on the price of oil. Currently, oil consumes 20% to 40% of the islands' GNP. ALBA also sponsors Petrocaribe, which provides discounted oil to ALBA members and other Caribbean islands.

Third, sports and culture. Recently the islands were among thirty countries (including some from Europe) participating in the ALBA games. Cuba sent the most participants, a large number of them trainers to assist the other delegations.

Fourth, Telesur, which functions in English as well as Spanish. It assists the islands in developing independent media.

Little of ALBA is financially driven. It is laying the groundwork for national self-sufficiency. On that basis, nations can make a free choice regarding their future economic model. This is not necessarily socialism. President Zelaya of Honduras was politically conservative, not a socialist. But the self-sufficiency that ALBA is working for can provide preconditions for socialism.

Faiz will soon publish a written report on the English-speaking ALBA countries.