Ontario Jails Five More First Nations People Involved in Land Struggles
URGENT ACTION NEEDED: To counter SWAT Teams amassing in Tyendinaga
(1) Demonstration In Support of Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory
TOMORROW, Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 12 noon
Place: Ministry of the Attorney General, 720 Bay Street (just north of Gerrard, east side)
(2) CALL PREMIER Dalton McGuinty and urge him to:
*** Honour Mohawk land, call off the OPP: Do not risk people's lives for a gravel pit the government has already acknowledged is on Mohawk land!
*** Release all First Nations political prisoners!
Premier Dalton McGuinty: 416-325-1941 (phone) 416-325-3745 (fax)
More Info: http://www.ocap.ca/supporttmt.html
OPP Back Off! Free all First Nations Political Prisoners Now! Hands off Stolen Land! Return the Culbertson Tract to the Mohawks of Tyendinaga!
Send this message to the Provincial Government----------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: From Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory
Sunday, April 27, 2008 -Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory) Five men from Tyendinaga are in jail today bringing the total number of First Nations people in Ontario jails for defending their land to 12.
Ontario, it appears, has opted for the incarceration of First Nations people over the resolution of outstanding land issues as their status quo.
As for the Ontario Provincial Police, it appears the adoption of Justice Linden's Ipperwash Inquiry recommendations is experiencing some delay. While in custody at the Napanee Detachment several different officers repeatedly informed Shawn Brant that they were going to "slit his throat" and that he was a "dead man."
This followed a similarly disturbing incident that occurred on Monday, April 22nd during the road closures in Deseronto when an officer on the scene clearly and audibly commented to her colleagues "we should just shoot them (Mohawks) all."
Meanwhile, road closures continue in Tyendinaga and Six Nations until, as one man said, "We finish the job." www.aptn.ca/streaming/index.php?wmv=friday/six
Venezuelans Mark 6th Anniversary of US-Backed Coup; Send Food to Haiti
In Venezuela, tens of thousands of people gathered in Caracas Sunday, April 13, to mark the sixth anniversary of the US-backed coup against President Hugo Chavez. The President had been briefly overthrown by a group of business and military leaders. He returned to the National Palace following a wave of protest by the Venezuelan masses, and a counter-revolt by loyal soldiers.Addressing supporters outside the Palace, Chavez said, “Six years ago, not only was Venezuela’s destiny at stake but, like Fidel Castro believed, the destiny of all of Latin America was at stake.”
Venezuela Sends Food Aid to Haiti
Chavez announced a shipment of food aid to Haiti, which he said, has suffered under “global capitalism.” Chavez said the shipment is to help relieve the crisis in Haiti that has plagued the country for the last nine days. He explained that in the name of Venezuela, 200 tons of food were being shipped to the people of Haiti who are being assaulted by hunger and misery. The heroic people of Haiti are suffering from the attacks of the empire’s global capitalism, Chavez said. “This calls for genuine and profound solidarity from all of us. It is the least we can do for Haiti.”
Haiti was in great upheaval last week in a series of protests over the rising cost of food. On Saturday, April 12, President René Préval announced subsidies to cut the cost of rice by more than 15 percent. A convoy of airplanes carrying 364 tons of food took off on Sunday, April 13 from Venezuela to Haiti. President Chavez announced that the aid from Venezuela includes tons of chicken, meat, ham, vegetables, milk, lentils and olive oil.